“There is no problem in this world, no crisis, no injustice, that we cannot solve together. If history tells us anything, it is that the impossible is possible.”—Prof. @DeborahNArcher addresses #NYU2021 graduates in today’s All-University Commencement. https://t.co/cPUrjHmGUI
- IMMUNITY https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/22/opinion/qualified-immunity-police-brutality misconduct.html
- How police and politicians undermine civilian oversight of law enforcement – Washington Post When communities try to hold police accountable, law enforcement fights back
- https://www.wxyz.com/news/should-qualified-immunity-continue-to-protect-law-enforcement-debate-rages-on-in-michigan AG DANA NESSEL 2021: Many of the concerns you express are the result of state legislation. Rather, the Attorney General is dutybound to enforce the laws that have been enacted by the Legislature. SENATOR PETERS 2021: “The role of law enforcement and government officials is to keep our state safe and serve the families they are sworn to protect. I will continue to work with my colleagues in Congress to find commonsense solutions to build trust in communities around the country, and I will carefully review legislation that comes before the Senate on criminal justice and policing reform, including the issue of qualified immunity”.
REPARATIONS: (1) Lawsuit Led By 105-Year-Old Seeks Reparations From Tulsa Race Massacre : Updates: The Fight Against Racial Injustice: NPR (2) California’s first-in-the-nation reparations committee confronts harms of slavery, debates direct payments | Entertainment News (entertainment–news.com)
- Corruption Is What Other People Do – The American Prospect Corruption Is What Other People Do The Biden administration has embarked on a global anti-corruption campaign. It should start with Washington.
- https://www.axios.com/afghanistan-war-failure-bush-obama-administration-106375e6-ebe2-40be-8944-f55e15b11e3e.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=organic&utm_content=1100 WaPo: American people misled for two decades over Afghanistan failures